Competition Countdown

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Things Shouldn't be Easy

Well this week was a good and challenging workout week. One of the many things I've learned about weight lifting is if you want results then lifting should never feel easy. If you are lifting weights and the exercise is starting to feel easy or light you need to increase the weight or change up your workout program, otherwise you'll plateau. Personal trainers are not easy to fool, and I sure can't fool mine! When I first started doing walking lunges they kicked my butt, and over time they were getting easier which caused me to do them faster. My trainer was watching me do them on Wednesday and she brought me a 20 pound barbell and told me to hold it behind my head on the lunges from now on. I am also starting to slowly incorporate jogging back into my workout routine. I have been so nervous about running again given my surgical history. My Orthopedic doc has a great walk to run program for people who have had injuries, or surgeries. It felt strange to run again, but not in a bad way, strange in a different kind of way. I have been though 7 leg surgeries and every other time I tried to run afterward it never felt right and the reason is I never hit the weights first. After surgery your body looses muscle mass very fast. A person should never go right into high impact activity before weight training if they had surgery.

We'll see you next week.

Shayna

No comments:

Post a Comment