Competition Countdown

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Out in the water


Hi there,
Today was my first swimming event and overall it was a good experience. It was a two mile swim out in a lake, my time was a little more than an hour, not sure exactly how long, the results haven't been posted yet. The water was very dark and murky, it was impossible to see a thing. The weather was pretty chilly out there, it was 57 degrees when the race started, but the water felt warm. It was very cloudy too. When the race started I felt OK because I could see people swimming around me, but as we got further out people started spreading out more and more, it was like I was there all by myself, it was a little scary. I had to break my stroke and look up out of the water every so often to make sure I wasn't way off course. The venue was pretty small, it will be exiting to do larger swimming events. I think Dave had a good time too. Everywhere we go he meets somebody new. He met the race director, the guy is interested in doing a military triathlon competition with all of the different branches of the military. He gave Dave his card so I am sure he will try to rally some people up to do that event. The next swimming event I want to do is called the La Jolla Rough Water Swim which is 3 miles. It is one of the top ten open water swims in the world. And the swim out to Alcatraz, that one is 1.5 miles, but the water is cold and very rough.
It is just three weeks away from my competition, not nervous yet. The nervousness will probably set in the night before the competition. I think it will be a lot of fun. My next competition after this one will be sometime in November. I want to do another one before the holidays so I don't have to skip any of the good holiday meals.
Well that is all for this week.
Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment